- 1 lb Cara-malt 10L (10.0 SRM)
- 4 lb Extra Light DME (3.0 SRM)
- 4 lb Pale LME (8 SRM)
- 1 oz CTZ pellet hops 19.4% AAU (60 min)
- 1 oz Northern Brewer pellet hops 10.9% AAU (45 min)
- 0.5 oz Cascade pellet hops 6.4% AAU (30 min)
- 0.5 oz Cascade pellet hops 6.4% AAU (15 min)
- Coagulant tablet (10 min)
- 1 oz Cascade pellet hops (dry hopped, two weeks)
- Wyeast #1056 American Ale
- Batch Size 5 gal
- Boil size: 3 gal
- 7.4 SRM
- Est OG: 1.065
- Calculated OG: 1.070
- Est FG: 1.015
- Est ABV: 6.5%
- Bitterness: 75 IBU
Seeped Cara-malt 10L in 155 degree water for 30 min. Sparged with half gallon hot water. Added to 1 gal water in brewpot for boil.
Adapted from Victory and Chaos IPA recipe.
- 4 lbs amber LME
- 3.5 lbs light DME
- 1 oz East Kent Goldings 6.3% @ 60 min
- 0.5 oz Cascade 6.2% @ 60 min
- 1 oz East Kent Goldings 6.3% @ 45 min
- 0.5 oz Glacier 5.6% dry hopped
- Wyeast #1028 London Ale
Original Gravity: 1.045
Final Gravity: 1.019
Add half of malt extract at beginning of boil. At 10 minutes left, added rest of extract + coagulant tablet.
Brewed 3/30/14. Bottled 4/20.
Adapted from recipe on byo.com. Ingredients
- 6.6 lbs light, unhopped, liquid malt extract
- ~7.0 oz light dried malt extract
- 6.0 oz crystal malt 120L
- 2.0 oz amber malt
- Magnum pellet hops (60 min) (0.5 oz of 14.7% alpha acid)
- Magnum pellet hops (20 min) 0.5 oz of 14.7% alpha acid)
- Glacier pellet hops (10 min) (0.5 oz of 5.5% alpha acid)
- Cascade pellet hops (0 min) (0.5 oz of 6.2% alpha acid)
- Kerry Coagulant and Fining tablet (10 min)
- Wyeast #1187 Ringwood Ale yeast
- Target Original Gravity: 1.052
- Measured Original Gravity: 1.056
- Target Final Gravity: 1.013
- Measured Final Gravity: 1.020
- Target IBU: 30
- Target ABV = 5.0%
- Final ABV = 4.7%
Steeped the crushed grain in ~1 gallon of water at 155 ºF (68 ºC) for 30 minutes. Removed grains from the wort and rinsed with 1 quart (0.9 L) of hot water. Added ~1.5 gallons of water plus the liquid and dry malt extracts and bring to a boil.
Cooled the wort outside in snow for ~40 min, cooled easily to 75 ºF (24 ºC). Pitched yeast and aerated the wort heavily. Allow the beer to cool to 68 ºF (20 ºC). Hold at that temperature until fermentation is complete.
Brewed 3/9, bottled 3/23.
Recipe from homebrewersassociation.org, adapted to 5 gallon recipe
- 6.0 lb Light Dry Malt Extract
- ~0.415 lb Cara Red 20
- ~0.311 lb Crystal 120
- ~0.207 lb Roasted Barley
- 2.0 oz Fuggles 4.6% a.a. pellet hops (45 min)
- 1 oz East Kent Goldings 4.5% a.a. pellet hops (15 min)
- #1084 Wyeast Irish Ale Yeast
- Target Original Gravity: 1.053
- Target Final Gravity: 1.016
- IBU: 24.54
- Boil Time: 60 minutes
- Efficiency: 75%?
Activated liquid yeast packet the night before.
Steep specialty grains for 30 minutes in 2 gallons of 160°F (71°C) water. Sparge out grain bag separately with 0.5 gallons water, add runoff to brewpot.
Bring to a boil for 60 minutes and add Fuggles and East Kent Goldings hops at 45 and 15 minutes remaining respectively. Add wort to primary fermenter and bring total volume to 5 gallons.
- Measured Original Gravity: 1.054
- Measured Final Gravity: 1.018
- Final APV: 4.8%
Put in fermenter ~ 3:30 on 3/2/14. Temp 74 degrees. Gave the fermenter quick shake to aerate at 3:45.
3/3/14: Temperature dropped to 62°F on fermometer, a little low. Slow bubbles indicate fermentation has started.
Racked to secondary fermenter 3/9, bottled 3/16.
Top Gun has been a staple in my life. It’s one of those movies that subconsciously ingrains itself inside you. For all of middle school, I thought that was actually how you made out (sorry 7th grade boyfriends). I knew I had met my best friend for life when racing go-carts she screamed, “I feel the need…” and I finished, “The need, for speeeeeeeed.” I even had the first line of my online-dating profile as, “Talk to me Goose.” You’d be surprised how many men responded with, “Duck?”. *condescending frown* Someday I dream my future husband will propose to me by singing, “You’ve lost that loving feeling…” I could go on forever about my love for the cowboys of the sky.
I’ve always wanted to make a drinking game to this movie, but my request for flybys had always been negative. So I asked another Top Gun enthusiast, the formal editor of UVM’s Water Tower. He had a background in movie drinking game rules, so I knew I had come to the right place. He inspired some ideas and in the end- this is what I pulled together.
Take me to bed or lose me forever.
Drink every time…
- Someone alludes to their penis/sexual innuendo
- They high-five
- Maverick is being rebellious/dangerous
- Maverick’s dad is talked about/referred to
- Sunglasses are worn
Drink every time a call sign is used.
That’s right Ice… Man. I AM dangerous. *CHOMP*
I have an active imagination and always pictured Val at every scene just chomping after every line and Tony Scott screaming, “Goddamn-it, Val!” “Awe, come on Tony! I promise it’ll be so cool!!!”