I went off the reservation with batch number 6, beginning to craft my own recipes instead of trying to follow those posted by others, and also switching recipe detail records from digital to analog. CTDR is my first attempt at a true high gravity, super hoppy Imperial IPA. The “Vermont” IPA and double IPA styles currently exploding in the area was something that I wanted to avoid (go figure).
Instead of a golden, slightly hazy and citrus-y hop bomb inspired by Sip of Sunshine, Heady Topper, or a Foley Brothers Fair Maiden, I wanted to make a beer that was dark and violent, using Crystal 60L malt and light DME and LME with lots of CTZ and Chinook hops for an SRM of 11.65 and an IBU of 95.5.
I finished the 3.5 gallon boil with Cascade and used two Wyeast #1056 American Ale smack packs which resulted in near immediate development of krausen and subsequent fermenter overflow. I gave the beast a full 10 days to ferment and transferred it to glass, where it will stay until a scheduled bottling day on 9/10.
With an anticipated ABV of over 8%, I wanted to give CTDR some aggressive aging for a more complex taste. I’ll christen this beer in late September/early October with some friends for an aggressive new movie drinking game, preferably one about imperial conquest.
Recipe based off of David Ackley’s at blog.eckraus.com
- 6.5 lb Extra Light LME
- 1 lb Caramel 10L
- 4 oz Flaked oats
- 1 oz Kent Goldings hops (6.3 AAU @ 60 min)
- 0.5 oz Kent Goldings hops (6.3 AAU @ 30 min)
- 0.25 oz fresh crushed coriander seed (20 min)
- 0.5 oz Kent Goldings hops (6.3 AAU @ 10 min)
- 0.25 oz fresh crushed coriander seed (10 min)
- Coagulant tablet (10 min)
- 1 oz Kent Goldings hops (dry hopped, 1 week)
- Wyeast #3724 Belgian Saison
- Batch Size: 5.5 gal
- Boil size: 3.5 gal
- Est OG: 1.059
- Calculated OG: 1.046
- Est FG: 1.013
- Calculated FG: 1.010
- Est ABV: 6.1%
- Calculated ABV: 4.7%
- Bitterness: 23.22
Treated brew water with three teaspoons of gypsum. Steeped specialty grains for 30 min in 1.5 gal water at around 150 ˚F. After boil, added water to bring volume to 5.5 gal.
Brewed 6/28, bottled 7/13.
First impressions 7/27: Poured out nicely, good golden color without intense haze. Very pleased with carbonation and the slight head retention. Tastes spicy and medium to full bodied with a somewhat raw finish that gets better by the sip. Overall, tastes better than I was expecting. Next time I’ll challenge the yeast with a higher starting gravity and kick up the alcohol.
- 1 lb Cara-malt 10L (10.0 SRM)
- 4 lb Extra Light DME (3.0 SRM)
- 4 lb Pale LME (8 SRM)
- 1 oz CTZ pellet hops 19.4% AAU (60 min)
- 1 oz Northern Brewer pellet hops 10.9% AAU (45 min)
- 0.5 oz Cascade pellet hops 6.4% AAU (30 min)
- 0.5 oz Cascade pellet hops 6.4% AAU (15 min)
- Coagulant tablet (10 min)
- 1 oz Cascade pellet hops (dry hopped, two weeks)
- Wyeast #1056 American Ale
- Batch Size 5 gal
- Boil size: 3 gal
- 7.4 SRM
- Est OG: 1.065
- Calculated OG: 1.070
- Est FG: 1.015
- Calculated FG: 1.015
- Est ABV: 6.5%
- Calculated ABV: 7.2%
- Bitterness: 75 IBU
Brewed 4/18, bottled 5/11.
Seeped Cara-malt 10L in 155 degree water for 30 min. Sparged with half gallon hot water. Added to 1 gal water in brewpot for boil.
Adapted from Victory and Chaos IPA recipe.
- 4 lbs amber LME
- 3.5 lbs light DME
- 1 oz East Kent Goldings 6.3% @ 60 min
- 0.5 oz Cascade 6.2% @ 60 min
- 1 oz East Kent Goldings 6.3% @ 45 min
- 0.5 oz Glacier 5.6% dry hopped
- Wyeast #1028 London Ale
Original Gravity: 1.045
Final Gravity: 1.019
Add half of malt extract at beginning of boil. At 10 minutes left, added rest of extract + coagulant tablet.
Brewed 3/30/14. Bottled 4/20.
Adapted from recipe on byo.com. Ingredients
- 6.6 lbs light, unhopped, liquid malt extract
- ~7.0 oz light dried malt extract
- 6.0 oz crystal malt 120L
- 2.0 oz amber malt
- Magnum pellet hops (60 min) (0.5 oz of 14.7% alpha acid)
- Magnum pellet hops (20 min) 0.5 oz of 14.7% alpha acid)
- Glacier pellet hops (10 min) (0.5 oz of 5.5% alpha acid)
- Cascade pellet hops (0 min) (0.5 oz of 6.2% alpha acid)
- Kerry Coagulant and Fining tablet (10 min)
- Wyeast #1187 Ringwood Ale yeast
- Target Original Gravity: 1.052
- Measured Original Gravity: 1.056
- Target Final Gravity: 1.013
- Measured Final Gravity: 1.020
- Target IBU: 30
- Target ABV = 5.0%
- Final ABV = 4.7%
Steeped the crushed grain in ~1 gallon of water at 155 ºF (68 ºC) for 30 minutes. Removed grains from the wort and rinsed with 1 quart (0.9 L) of hot water. Added ~1.5 gallons of water plus the liquid and dry malt extracts and bring to a boil.
Cooled the wort outside in snow for ~40 min, cooled easily to 75 ºF (24 ºC). Pitched yeast and aerated the wort heavily. Allow the beer to cool to 68 ºF (20 ºC). Hold at that temperature until fermentation is complete.
Brewed 3/9, bottled 3/23.